Sunday, January 02, 2005

Sunday, January 2, 2005

With another full day to myself, I was still locked up in my studio, working like a maniac. Just like every morning, I brewed a pot of coffee and sat down to read and write emails. Once that was done, I went to see about starting to paint and noticed that last night I had left three tubes of paint lying on the table next to my easel with the caps off. What was I thinking? As I put the caps back on, I noticed that one tube of dark green paint even had a squirt of paint globbed out at the top. Fortunately it was still soft. So I grabbed a paint brush, smeared off the glob of green paint and got to work. All I did was paint the edges of two canvases. None of my canvases are framed so I paint the edges to make them look nice.

Already there were a million things to do. I was feeling overwhelmed, not sure where to begin, so I sat down to meditate and collect my thoughts in order to begin the day. Four hours passed like minutes and I nearly have to wrack my brain to sort through all I’ve done today.

One of the first things I wanted to do was get my book Creative Careers posted on my website. I’ll do the actual posting on Monday, but I wanted to at least get prepared. Just about every day, I spend time surfing through the website to see what needs to be done. I make a list in a notebook. I’ve already got nine things on the list. It will far exceed that by the end of the day. The ideas rush as me like a tsunami and sometimes it's all I can do just to keep from drowning in my own mind.

My priority for the website right now is to get all of my books published on-line. Having my writing stuck on a floppy disk is useless. Whether or not anyone wants to read it or finds it helpful in some way makes no difference if they can’t access it. So I’m making it available on the website for those who might be interested. This includes my on-line journal which is titled Living the Artist’s Life.

I’m sure I could go into further detail about all of this, but don’t want to bore anyone with too much hair-splitting detail. Besides, at 1:00pm I still had a million things to do. Having spent most of Saturday painting, I decided not to do anymore painting for the day, and instead turned to reading Ishmael by Daniel Quinn in order to write a review for the website.

I really like the character of Ishmael because I feel like I can somehow relate. As I mentioned yesterday, I sometimes feel like a wild animal myself. It’s interesting the way Ishmael talks about his captivity and compares it to our own. Why humans treat wild animals so horribly I really do not understand. It’s not surprising that he must remain in his captivity in the midst of human culture. It is difficult to imagine a gorilla walking around the city like any human primate. But what makes Ishmael such a sympathetic character is that in spite of the obvious difficulties, he wants to contribute something to the betterment of the world, including Homo sapiens sapiens. He wants to share his unique perspective with human beings...if they will listen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home